Eleven years ago today, the man who had the best perspective on baseball that anyone ever shared on a daily basis, Bob Murphy, was rightly presented the Ford Frick Award in Cooperstown. He was recognized for a long career and any number of accomplishments therein, but if all he ever said was “baseball is a […]
TOWEL DEPT. THROWING IN/RETURNS POLICY
Bat Bath & Beyond will cheerfully issue refunds for all 2005 New York Mets Contender Towels purchased between April 4 and July 31 when presented with a receipt by August 1, provided that…
• the towel has not been thrown in by the original purchaser more than half-a-dozen times
• the towel is […]
I think I said something the other night about not overreacting to every trade rumor that comes down the pike, even those flying warp-speed down the Mass Pike. So until somebody's holding a press conference (or I'm convinced that my words will reach and impact Omar's war room — “Greg's OK with it…tell Theo it's […]
What's too good to be true, Jace?
Why, I'm glad you asked. Take your pick:
1. Thinking that after playing impressively at home, we'd go to two of the National League's more offense-friendly parks and do something other than play little ball, and not very good little ball at that. Even John McGraw and Ring Lardner liked […]
My night last night:
* Watch Pedro admiringly. Grouse that Taveras' bunt should have been an error on Wright. Realize Dave O'Brien is right to note it would have been an extraordinary play, and should indeed be a hit. Grumble.
* Keep watching Pedro admiringly. Grouse that Everett's home run would have been a flyout at Shea. […]
One of the happiest nights of my recent Mets life materialized in the wee hours of January 9, 2005 when word filtered up from Texas that Carlos Beltran would not re-sign with the Astros. It took a little sorting and a lot of clicking, but at exactly 1 AM I was able to send to […]
I, as a Faith and Fear in Flushing blogger in good standing, hereby pledge to:
1) not suffer two-game losing streaks in greater proportions than I enjoy four-game winning streaks as joy should be twice as good as sorrow is bad, not the other way around.
2) not blame time zones for our problems no matter the […]
9-3 wasn't nearly enough. Not when it's the Rockies playing in our own personal dungeon. Thinking that my memory was just possibly faulty in grumbling that we had a 3-54 record all-time at Coors Field, I hopped on over to Retrosheet to figure out our real record. Which, by my calculations (meet my version of […]
MSG's cameras caught Clint Hurdle doing something rather intriguing and mildly amusing Tuesday night. Each time one of his players committed a miscue – giving up a walk after being ahead, making a poor throw, gawking and smirking at Cameron after every strikeout — he turned around and wrote it down in a notebook. Is […]
Christ I hate this friggin' park.
I'm too pissed off to check, but I'm pretty sure our record here is something like 3-54. Every other team comes here to get well, and we come here to die. The bats go ice-cold and we look like we're sleepwalking while whoever's wearing a Rockie uniform that night — […]