- Faith and Fear in Flushing - http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com -
We Still Love This Game
Posted By Greg Prince On September 25, 2010 @ 1:00 pm In 1 | Comments Disabled
The 2010 Mets are a temporary condition. Mets fandom, however, is a lifetime proposition. Some dispatches from around Metsopotamia, most of them showing us again that blue and orange waters run deep.
• Faith and Fear reader Tim Hanley wrote in to let us know he and his home movie of Ron Swoboda’s Game Four catch in the 1969 World Series will be included in the forthcoming Baseball: A New York Love Story , with his segment premiering on Channel 13, Wednesday, September 29, at 10:30 PM and Channel 21 Thursday, September 30, at 12:30 AM. This is part of a multichapter documentary WNET produced in conjunction with Baseball: The Tenth Inning , which itself debuts Tuesday. Ken Burns’s work picks up where his original masterpiece left off, in the early ’90s. If there are 30 seconds devoted to the Mets in these four new hours, I’ll be shocked.
• Faith and Fear reader Sharon Chapman is running diligently toward the New York City Marathon  in early November. When not training, she’s been raising funds (with the help of viewers like you) for the Tug McGraw Foundation , collecting nearly $5,400 to date for a most worthy cause. Her most recent warmup race was the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon and her wristband of choice, naturally, bore the imprint of your favorite blog . To donate to Tug’s foundation and help fight brain tumors, please click here .
• We can now say the Faith and Fear t-shirt has made it to the Hall of Fame. Inducted? Not quite, but ace illustrator  Jim Haines was kind enough to don our garment of choice  when visiting Cooperstown this summer and thorough enough to let everyone checking out the ballparks exhibit the URL you all need to know. Note that Jim has stopped off at the Polo Grounds; that was the first home of the Mets in case anybody in Mets ownership needs to be reminded.
• The Apple’s Elimination apparel line may be pure fiction, but you can actually still get a Gary Sheffield 500th Home Run cap  on mets.com for some unfathomable reason along with $19.97 plus shipping and handling. $19.97 for a Gary Sheffield 500th Home Run cap? That’s about $17.97 more than it should be (if it should be at all), but take heart: it’s marked down from $24.99.
• Can’t let the subject of Metwear go by without tipping you off to Metstradamus’s investigative report from an Old Navy location in Queens . Let’s just say it’s a great place to get your hands on a Marlins tee.
• Belated congratulations to savvy Mets GM nominee Howard Megdal who swept all his primaries (including ours ) and has since taken the next step of letting the Mets know about it . We look forward to a Megdal administration, both for the wins and the poems we’re sure it will produce.
• One of the greatest World Series games ever has just turned up intact on kinescope, thanks to Bing Crosby’s superstition and meticulousness. You’ve gotta read Richard Sandomir’s story  in the Times of how we’ll finally get to see the Yankees lose Game Seven of the 1960 Fall Classic to Bill Mazeroski and the Pirates. How is this Mets-related? C’mon…
• Throughout this mostly desultory year, Matt Silverman has been rebuilding the season-by-season history of New York Mets, even the seasons that were akin to 2010 (spoiler alert: there were a lot of them). Visit Met Silverman  and catch up, starting with the most recent installment, a salute to 1982 that far exceeds the 65-97 campaign itself.
• Finally, a reluctant farewell to 1979 Met pitcher Wayne Twitchell, who died too young (62, from cancer) earlier this month in his native Oregon. Aaron Fentress of the Oregonian captures his life  before, during and after his time as a major leaguer, most of which he spent with the Phillies. I was on hand for his one and only Met home start, which wasn’t the greatest night  for either him or me, but it’s all part of the tapestry. Our condolences go out to his loving family.
Article printed from Faith and Fear in Flushing: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com
URL to article: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2010/09/25/we-still-love-this-game/
URLs in this post:
 he and his home movie of Ron Swoboda’s Game Four catch : http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/one_amazin_film_cMX4DX9hT0ah1NM6nv89tJ
 Baseball: A New York Love Story: http://www.thirteen.org/baseball/
 Baseball: The Tenth Inning: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/arts/television/26tenth.html
 running diligently toward the New York City Marathon: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2010/02/12/what-makes-sharon-run/
 Tug McGraw Foundation: http://tugmcgraw.org/home.asp
 her wristband of choice, naturally, bore the imprint of your favorite blog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slgc/5005065191/lightbox/
 please click here: http://www.active.com/donate/teammcgrawnyc2010/tmnycm10SChapma
 Image: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/FAF-outside1.jpg
 ace illustrator: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2006/09/19/mr-met-loves-to-redecorate/
 our garment of choice: http://www.printmojo.com/faithandfear/
 Image: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/FAF-inside1.jpg
 Elimination shirts: http://www.readtheapple.com/2010/09/mets-hope-to-make-best-of-bad-situation.html
 they were a hit: http://www.readtheapple.com/2010/09/modells-scrambles-to-maintain-stock-as_23.html
 Gary Sheffield 500th Home Run cap: http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3733827&cp=1452359.1452831.3309851
 Metstradamus’s investigative report from an Old Navy location in Queens: http://www.metstradamusblog.com/2010-articles/september/this-is-mets-country.html
 ours: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2010/07/15/endorsing-howard-megdal-not-so-crazy/
 letting the Mets know about it: http://megdalforgm.com/?p=189
 read Richard Sandomir’s story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/sports/baseball/24crosby.html
 Met Silverman: http://metsilverman.com/
 captures his life: http://blog.oregonlive.com/mlb/2010/09/former_wilson_high_school_and.html
 wasn’t the greatest night: http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2008/08/29/remembering-the-forgettable/
Copyright © 2010 Faith and Fear in Flushing. All rights reserved.