What do you mean you don’t have the boxed DVD set from the 1986 World Series? What do you mean you’ve lived this long without eight discs that include each game of that blessed Fall Classic (yes, even the losses use Games 1, 2 & 5 as coasters or give them to your cats) plus the final game of the NLCS, all sixteen scintillating innings of it?
Well, let’s put an end to that right now. A&E Home Entertainment wants to award three such boxed sets to Faith and Fear readers right now. To help them do you the solid of the year — or quarter-century, as it’s turned out — I will now provide you with one of the easiest contest quizzes in FAFIF history. All the answers to the questions I’m about to ask you have been published on this blog since April 5, 2011, either on a Tuesday or a Friday, in your favorite twice-weekly feature, The Happiest Recap.
For those of you who have committed every last word of every one of my painstakingly researched, meticulously crafted essays to memory, this will be a snap. For the rest of you slackers, you can just look ’em up (if you’ve never clicked on the tag “The Happiest Recap” at the bottom of one of those bad boys, this would be a good time to do so) and track down what you need. It’s an open-blog quiz.
First three FAFIFites to e-mail all twenty correct answers (hint: specificity helps) to faithandfear [at symbol] gmail [dot] com will be our three winners. All decisions of the judge are final.
***UPDATE: WE HAVE OUR WINNERS. THANKS FOR PLAYING.***
For those who don’t win this contest, here’s a link to order the set. It’s well worth having, even if it doesn’t come free to you.
But let’s hope it does. Good luck!
1) Who relieved Tom Seaver in his first win?
2) Who made the final out of Bob L. Miller’s first Mets win since 1962?|
3) Who homered to lead off the game Armando Benitez ended by surrendering a home run to Carlos Delgado?
4) Who was the last batter Victor Zambrano faced as a Met?
5) What musical special aired on NBC opposite the game that featured Darryl Strawberry’s first major league home run on WOR-TV?
6) Who scored the first run against Dwight Gooden in his major league debut?
7) Who collected the last base hit Tom Seaver gave up before the Mets traded him?
8) Who homered twice to support Dick Rusteck’s four-hit shutout?
9) Whose flyball did Mookie Wilson misplay to put the Mets behind 6-5 before his home run off Bruce Sutter beat St. Louis 7-6?
10) How many home runs did Mike Piazza need to hit in 2004 to break Carlton Fisk’s career home run record for catchers?
11) Whose grand slam precipitated the appearance of John Cangelosi on the cover of Sports Illustrated?
12) What lefty did Terry Francona have warming up in the ninth inning when Curt Schilling allowed five runs to the Mets?
13) How many pitches were thrown in the twenty-inning Mets-Cardinals game of 2010?
14) What was the name of the promotion Carvel sponsored at Shea Stadium on the day the Mets and Pirates wound up playing eighteen innings?
SUPER SUNDAE SUNDAY
15) What reliever did Larry Bearnarth replace prior to Bearnarth pitching ten innings of relief versus the Cubs?
16) What Met player’s uniform lacked a name on the back when Steve Henderson homered to beat the Giants on June 14, 1980?
17) Who threw the pitch that resulted in the home run that would come to be commemorated by a marker in the left field Upper Deck at Shea Stadium?
18) Who made the final out of the Mets’ first home win ever?
19) Who struck out directly before Omir Santos’s video-review home run at Fenway Park?
20) One week before Jack Fisher won an eleven-inning start, he lasted 11⅔ innings only to be removed for what reliever?