Hope you’re making plans to join us at Hofstra for the 50th Anniversary Mets conference , Thursday, Friday and Saturday. All of it will be worthy of your consideration and aims to do Dana Brand’s vision for it proud. But on a personal note, it occurs to me I might as well tell you where to find Faith and Fear while you’re there.
• Each day, I’ll be moderating the lunchtime “Bullpen” panel, composed of some of your favorite bloggers batting around some of the great issues of life as a Mets fan. Jason will be enhancing the proceedings Thursday and Friday. Others from whom you’ll be hearing across the Bullpen sessions include representatives from The Happy Recap, A Gal For All Seasons, ESPN New York, Optimistic Mets Fan, On The Black, LoHud Mets, Amazin’ Avenue and Mets Police as well as — special treat! — longtime FAFIF commenter (and original New Breeder) Joe Dubin.
• Thursday at 8 PM, I’m scheduled to introduce the filmmaker Kathy Foronjy and her terrific Mets fan documentary Mathematically Alive. If you haven’t seen it, you’ll love it a lot since you are, by proxy, probably in it.
• Copies of Faith and Fear in Flushing: An Intense Personal History of the New York Mets will made available for sale on Thursday at 2 PM, with author autograph if you’re so inclined. And if you already have a copy and want it signed at any time during the conference, I’d be most honored to do so.
• On Saturday at 11:15 AM, I will take part in a panel devoted to Mets communication. My topic is “The Shared Mets Fan Language: How Mets Fans Speak to One Another”. Also on that panel will be Kerel Cooper of On The Black, discussing the Mets and social media, and Ray Stilwell of Metphistopheles, exploring “The Decline and Loss of the New York Mets Radio Network”. WINS sports anchor Marc Ernay moderates.
• On Saturday at 3:15 PM, the “Passion of the Bloggers” will be on display as Steve Keane of The Eddie Kranepool Society, John Coppinger of Metstradamus, Taryn Cooper of The Gal For All Seasons and I delve deep into the wonderful world of fan blogging…Mets fan blogging, to be specific.
• Thursday afternoon (weather permitting) and Friday night (if you’re attending the Amazin’ Mets Gala Banquet), I’ll be frequently checking the score of the ongoing Mets games against the Marlins and Rockies, respectively.
I hope to see you at Hofstra, even if means removing the buds from my ears to say hi.